Thursday, April 10, 2008

6 Months!


Kyle sent me a text during class today that asked if I wanted to go to lunch with him since this was a special day. When I got on my lunch break he picked me up and on the way to lunch Kyle asked if I realized what day it was. After failing to come up with why this would be a special day, Kyle reminded me that it's our 6 month anniversary today! I have to say that I'm so impressed with his thoughtfullness in remembering! He's such a sweetheart! When i got back to class we had a mock disaster where we as a class had to practice our triage and first aid skills! The scenario was a bus accident and included 25 injured people. It was hard to prioritize the patients (that's what triage means). I mean who is of most importance: the 8 year old who has lost 1/2 liter of blood, the teenager who has a weak pulse and requires rescue breathing, the old man who has a 2 foot piece of metal impaled into his thigh, or the 40 year old mom who can't move her fingers or toes?!? Triage is a skill that I definitely need to work on! After it all, our instructors said we actually did a very good job. Before the mock disaster we watched a documentary on th medical personnel that were involved in hurricane Katrina. It was heartwrenching to watch footage of patients that had to SWIM to get to the hospital and the medics take care of seriously injured patients in the dark with no air conditioning (the power was out). The conditions were horrific, and those nurses are my heros! It was very touching and motivating as a healthcare provider. I truly believe that I'm in the right profession! And I truly believe that these past 6 months have been the most joyful and exciting of my life! Thank you for the ride of my life, Kyle, I love you!

2 comments:

Karli said...

6 months already! Wow! I'm glad you are going into the health profession too! We definitely need people like you who are caring and willing to help those of us out that don't have a clue! Thanks for all your hard work.

Kobe Family said...

Hang in there! I don't envy you and I'm glad I'm done with nursing school. It's funny you're working on triage right now because I'm also doing credit hours in emergency nursing and triage. I kind of wish I had the chance to do the mock emergency though! You are going to be a great nurse! Congrats on your 5 months of marriage too. That is just as important as the 6th!