Tuesday, December 2, 2008

It's the Simple Things

Today I spent most of the afternoon at the hospital with the Curtis's and Shumways. Kristalee (my sister in law) went into the hospital this morning in labor. Kristalee is the most amazing woman in my eyes right now. She gave it all she got to get her little girl into this world. But some complications occured which lead to an emergency C-Section. After delivery, little Keziah also experienced some major respiratory complications and had to be flown out of our small facility to St. Mary's NICU in Grand Junction for a higher level of care. It was scary, to say the least. I'd never been on the 'family' end of a situation like this. It was driving me crazy to not be in that operating room knowing exactly what was going on, and the condition that my sister in law and little niece were in! I hated just sitting in that waiting room flagging down any passing nurse for more info. We finally caught a glimpse of our new adorable niece as the Flight Team was wheeling her down in that incubator to Kristalee's room so she could hold her new daughter's hand before flying away in the helicopter. A sweet and tender blessing was given to Keziah by her new dad, Adam. The spirit was strong, and testimonies were strengthened by all of us in the room. The Flight Team gave Kristalee a teddy bear to hold close to her while her and Keziah are parted. They also gave a piece of flannel to Kristalee to rub all over her skin that will stay in Keziah's incubator with her till her mom gets there. Keziah will recognize the scent from the flannel when Kristalee gets released in two days and can finally hold her new baby. Sigh... What a day. When Carolee made the comment to Adam about finally getting his Ford Mustang that he's been restoring done, he stated "That dosen't even matter anymore." All this has been such a good reminder that it really is the simple things - the family and friends and the love that binds us all together that matters. I've been in emergency C-Sections several times and have seen brand new babies flown off to different facilities, but when I'm on the other side of it - WOW. It is a different story. I will now be a better nurse because of this. Keziah is doing fine, really fine, actually. Let's just pray that she keeps getting stronger every day! The staff at the NICU are very positive. Around this Christmas season, I hope we remember what really matters, and take joy in the simple things. Good job, Kristalee, you are me hero! OUr prayers are with you, Shumways - and happy birthday Keziah! Exactly one month before my birthday - that means I'll be her favorite aunt, I'm sure! ;)

PS, On the flip side, we had the most INCREDIBLE ranch dressing for our salad for dinner at our ward party tonight. MMMM! Joy in the simple things! :)

6 comments:

Elise said...

wow, that sounds so crazy. I hope everyone is doing fine. And thanks for sharing you insights about the simple things!

Diana said...

I am really glad you posted this. I will definitely keep Kris, Adam, and Keziah in my prayers. Oh my heart is breaking for Kristalee right now!!!

ANd-totally ironic, I wrote a blog post today called "simple things" because I was thinking about how simple things can make you feel so peaceful. But anyway, I deleted the post, because it was actually kind of dumb for a reader, but interesting for me! Anyway-AMEN to the simple things.

Katie said...

After having a baby and knowing what it was like to wait an agonizing couple of hours to hold her, I was in tears after hearing Keziah's birth story tonight. No poor mother, after going through all she has in the last 9 months, should be separated from her baby like that!! I am glad that they are both doing well though and hope that everyone will be reunited soon! Thanks for keeping us updated!

Anonymous said...

wow! I hope all goes well for mom & baby! amazing story!

The Wakefields said...

I know how she feels. It is amazing to be the one who goes through it and how strong we become with the help of the Lord. I hope that they feel the arms of a loving Father in Heaven as we did. Our prayers are with you all.

Heather and Parley said...

I hope your fam is doing ok. That's so scary! Thanks for the reminder about what's really important :)