Friday, May 6, 2011

A small insight into my life. And Pants on Fire

I have a Bucket List. Do you? Way back when, while freezing my hiney off in Russia, my girls and I made our individual lists and it is something that I think about all the time! I’m always like “OK, what item am I going to work on crossing off next?”

The items include things like:

-catch fireflies in Mason jars

-find a 4 leaf clover

-visit the land of my ancestors

-ride my horse in my wedding dress

-learn how to make my mom’s raspberry jam

-visit the Great Barrier Reef

…as well as other sundries.

Some I have been able to take a bright yellow highlighter to (that’s how I cross them off), and others still await that privilege.

One of my most anticipated goals is to attend the Kentucky Derby.

And the grand horserace will be run tomorrow at 4pm! And we’re getting all geared up for it at our house.

churchill-downs-kentucky-derby-photo[1]

I love everything that comes with the Run for the Roses. Really, what could be a much better sport to watch than 20 gorgeous racing three year old thoroughbreds?

Someday I will saunter in to Churchill Downs wearing a tailored, sophisticated outfit and a wide, decorative, traditional hat sipping a glass of customary Kentucky mint julep (with imitation bourbon, of course), and maybe even join those on Millionaire row.

Someday I will stand as the Bugler sounds ‘Call to Post,’ I will sing with the crowd all the words to ‘My Old Kentucky Home.’ I will cheer on my thoroughbred picked to win and I may even be heard to shout the phrase made famous by Audrey Hepburn herself,  “Come on, Dover! Move your bloomin’ #$$!”

gal-audrey[1]

This year I’ve chosen to cheer for last month’s winner of the Louisiana Derby, Pants on Fire. I’ve been following his winning odds and think he’s got a good chance. His jockey is female, too – and if she leads Pants on Fire to the finish line, she will be the first woman jockey to gather in the Winner’s Circle as the victor of the Kentucky Derby! And that would be pretty neat-o. And guess what else is neat-o? I just learned tonight that Pants on Fire is a descendant of Secretariat!

113269948MS057_137TH_KENTUC

Isn’t he gorgeous?

So… if you’re a fan of the races, who would you place your bet on?

Are you gonna watch the Fastest Three Minutes in Sports?

You should. You will find yourself sitting on the edge of your seat.

And you will love it.

So do it!

6 comments:

KMO said...

Wow i had no idea you had such love for horse racing. Horses yes... but not the sport. I hope you get your chance to be Eliza Doolittle! Cant wait to see the hat! :)love your passion - love you.

KMO said...

also.... can i use this in my book? its the perfect example for one of my points.

THE BOWMAN'S said...

Anna, you're so fun! So, did Pants on Fire win?

Jena said...

I love bucket lists!! Thanks for sharing! You are so dang cute! I just love and miss you guys!!

BALLS said...

that is a great bucket list. i have always wanted to go to the derby too. my sister has been a few times (her husband is from there) and she said they are a blast. my favorite is all the hats, i so wish thats how people dressed here! i love it! i hope one day you can cross that off your bucket list!

Garyn said...

Awesome blog and for the record you are my favorite craziest Kennington cousin to have commented on our blog.
I swear I haven't seen you in years though so if you happen to be down give us a call sometime.