I would hardly call myself a Floridian. I mean I only lived there for like 18 months. And although I was only 5 when my family moved back to Utah from there, it sure shaped my life.
There were 4 of us girls on the Ranch that were the same age, and basically inseparable. I have a picture of the 4 of us at the beach. We’re all in our swimsuits (a couple of us even had Little Mermaid on them. That movie was HUGE around that time). We all have those blow up arm floaties on and one of us is wearing a snorkel mask. Ha ha I’m cracking up thinking about it just now.
I’ve been back to Florida several times since then and have kept in contact ok with two because they grew up the rest of their childhood on the Ranch, and I would stay with them when I visited. The other gal moved to Cali shortly after we left. And didn’t really hear anything of her since.
Well, a crazy thing happened about a month and a half ago. At a Florida Reunion, I heard through the grapevine that Janie actually lives right here in Heber! After a phone call to Cali to talk to her mom and find more info, I got her cell # and address. HA! She lives only a couple blocks away from me! I could throw a rock to her window from where I’m sitting right now at work. Funny, yeah?
Well, it gets even better. Her hubs is the county fire marshal and runs with the Wasatch County ambulance. That means him and my hubs have crossed paths probably a bazillion times.
They came over for a BBQ the other night and we had a total blast!
Our husbands talked about all the times they’ve seen each other out in the field of their work – what accidents they were on together and such.
And Janie and I talked about old times and what our new times are like.
And her little guy and mine played on the floor.
And I still can’t wrap my mind around the fact that I live almost next door to one of my oldest longtime friends!
Do you believe in coincidences? Well I don’t.
But I do believe we are placed in a specific place at a certain time for a great reason. And the coolest thing is figuring out what can come from where we decide to plop down and start our lives.
6 comments:
That is so fun! William did an internship at the ranch for a summer and I was telling him everything I remember from our visit. A) a frog in my shoe that jumped out at me. B) picking up seashells and having my dad dump them out before we went home. C)Swimming in the water hole and Elise almost drowning. Ok, so my mom insists that she didn't almost drowned, but it scared her and I both enough that that is how it is logged away in our memories. :)
That is really neat! I mean, Heber of all places. Who would've thought! :)
That is so awesome! Truly God has a hand in our lives! Crazy how you moved there and didn't think you'd ever find a long lost friend but sure enough He did! Great story!
Awesome!!! I love stories like that. It sometimes seems like we spend the first half of our lives making connections with people and the last half re-establishing the important ones. So glad you have the chance to create some new memories with an old buddy!!
OH! I almost forgot. The Deseret News did an article on the ranch in Florida just within the last month. You should be able to find it online (try: www.desnews.com). Thought you and your folks would enjoy reading that. It made me want to visit the Florida ranch and revisit the Woodruff one.
I could read JUST your blog all day and be happy. You always give spiritual insights and share important life lessons we can all benefit from and I love it. I love you!
It's been so long since i have been on anyones blog. (got my hands so full now!). Kasen is so cute! oh those eyes!! and hello! YOU LOOK AMAZING!!!
Post a Comment