OK, so a couple Sundays ago Casen and I played hooky. See, our Stake was participating in the Brigham City temple dedication which Kyle and I got tickets to. An unexpected call out for Kyle, no one to switch kid watching with, combined with a kid who woke up with a hoarse cough all added up to playing hooky.
That’s when the idea started to brew…
I thought to myself, “Self, it is time to say goodbye to summer and say hello to autumn.” From that small thought sprouted the big plan. For FHE the next day, I invited our good friends the Barney’s and the Turek’s to join us up the mountain for campfire tinfoil dinners (that was the saying goodbye to summer part). And then enjoy fall-type treats and a hot chocolate bar (that’s the saying hello to autumn part).
So, on that free Sunday Casen and I busted out the flour, sugar, butter and various other specific ingredients and baked many treats of goodness.
…And really? This was the best day ever. It was complete Casen and me time all day long. We both had a blast. It was the greatest Mom day!
Honestly, my heart was so excited for this shin-dig we had planned. It was gonna be so memorable! In my mind it played out so well and I could already hear our friends commenting on how this was going to have to be a new yearly tradition. It was all set up to be perfect.
Then I woke up Monday morning. Before even getting out of bed, I heard it. I heard the rain on my deck outside. I felt the cold sting of the changed weather right on the tip of my nose. WHAT?! NO! This couldn’t be happening.
I got out of bed, threw on my sweats and hoodie and ran to the window. It was pouring. The sky was gray as far as I could see. The thermometer said 42 degrees!
My next step was to check out the hourly weather report on weather.com. The outlook was dismal the rest of the day. I look out my window to the west. Is that SNOW on my mountain?! The very mountain I’m supposed to be on that evening, sitting around a campfire, cooking our tinfoil dinners, playing my guitar and everyone singing Kum Byah?! K the Kum Byah part was not part of the original plan, but it was indeed snow on the mountain.
Psh.
I came up with a Plan B and Plan C and sent both Jacee and Alyssa the text to help decide how to reroute my smashed party.
We decided on Plan C and although I’m still really bummed we weren’t able to go up the mountain to enjoy the fall leaves, we ended up loving everything about Plan C. And it went as follows:
As soon as Kyle got home from football practice (he almost froze!), he started the first fire of the season in our fireplace. We threw on our tinfoil dinners and sat around chatting until our dinners were cooked. We enjoyed and ate them in the comfort of our great indoors and loved the variety of delicious autumn-y treats and hot chocolate bar while the little boys all played together so nicely in the next room.
Zucchini bread and my new butter bell (which I broke the very day I got it taking it out of the box)
Alyssa spent the day baking the most amazing fresh peach pie with vanilla ice cream. Amazing, really, is an understatement.
My favorite recipe for pumpkin bars comes from my cousin Kara. Cream cheese icing is on only half of it per Kyle’s request. He does not like icing. Even if it is cream cheese. Weird.
So, while my heart was set on having our last summer fling up the mountain, and we had to resort to Plan C, we loved Plan C, and will make it a tradition after all!
Hello Fall!
6 comments:
how cute!! i love total mom days. and I LOVE him in that apron!! you are such a great mommy
Sounds like great fun! Fall has found us here too- some mornings have been 15 degrees outside! Thank heavens for fire places! I love that your butter crock is only the one side- that's how mine's been for over a year now too! I really should do something about that.... AND, just a comment about Kyle's preference for cake w/o the cream cheese? A few friends and I had a girls lunch a week or two ago and were told to bring the foods that our husbands didn't like. Believe it or not, most contained cream cheese! Sandwiches with chive-cream cheese spread, cream cheese-lobster dip and crackers, cream cheese fruit dip, and two different cheese cakes! We decided cream cheese must be a chick food. Yumminess!
yum yum!
Heber's a no icing guy too. weird.
I could lick it all off by myself :)
AND...the best tinfoil dinners I've ever had were your mom's this past summer in her oven...because of her foiled plan to make a fire in the mtn. due to the no campfire rule.
mmm..I can still remember the yummyness of them :)
Also, I was so bummed we couldn't come to Monticello and see you guys this past weekend...
..but we do have a sprinkler system in now.. so that's the bright side
I still think it should be yearly tradiish! :) we could even do it again when snowed in. I was a blast!!! And p.s. I'm calling you out, we were going to switch kids but kent also had to work and to be quite honest I didn't want to go alone :P
When I first saw your blog I thought something terrible had happened and even though it sucks that you weren't able to go outside, I'm glad that you were able to have a party anyway! your boy is so cute! I love the picture of him helping you out! He's getting to be so grown up!
Post a Comment