No, this post is not about one of THOSE days.
Do you ever have days when you think to yourself you will remember ever detail and every thought and feeling of the events of a certain day?
There are few days in my life where I’ve thought this. Like once when we were first married and Kyle took me on a spur of the moment camping trip in January up the mountains of Manti. I actually think it may be one of my very first blog posts ever. That was unforgettable.
Our first anniversary was another one of those days. It was a simple day, really. We spent it in Moab hiking Arches park then out to Uncle Bob’s steakhouse (that’s when the tradition started). All the details in between have been recorded in my more personal journal, but it was just one of those days where you lay down at night having true perspective on life. Everything you could ever need is right under the roof with you. Other petty things in life we tend to focus on really don’t matter.
Well, in an attempt to document the details and feelings of this day, I will continue with the post.
On the rare occasion Kyle and I both have a day off and neither of us is on-call, we usually do something exciting, unique and useful for our family life. This day it was cutting the first load of firewood to stock up for our sure to be long winter season.
We always go cut on a place called the Point. Kyle’s family owns this land, and we take advantage to use it for family time as much as we can. Kyle loves everything about the Point and I must say it is pretty unique.
You see, at almost 7,200 ft. at elevation, Monticello sits on a plateau far above anything else around it. Moab, Blanding and Dove Creek, CO sit at a significantly lower elevation that us and it only takes travelling a few miles in either direction (except west towards the mountain) before you can feel the dramatic drop in elevation.
The Point is a couple thousand acres situated right on the edge of that plateau. It’s only a few miles north of town. It is dry, full of sagebrush, pinion and juniper trees and some of the biggest bears, deer and elk you will find in the state. It’s really a place of wonder.
It is Kyle’s little piece of heaven. I tell you, if he went missing, the Point is the first place I’d look for him.
This particular day took us a while to get out to the Point as we were scouting deer along the way. Kyle and I both have tags this year.
I saw this tree as we were rambling past it and asked the Mr. if he could cut it down for my Halloween tree. He laughed, put the truck in park and said something along the lines of “No, but I will cut it down for firewood!” In the end, he did cut me a branch he carefully hauled home for my Halloween tree. He is really awesome at indulging my silly requests.
“A good sawyer always surveys the situation and executes his plan carefully.” Direct quote from Kyle himself, I’m pretty sure!
Casen and I moseyed worked really hard shaking pinenuts out of cones while Kyle wiped sweat from his brow cutting and splitting wood. I did load the wood in the truck, though, when it was safe to move in without danger of being struck by any trees falling on me.
The dogs worked hard, too. And I got hungry enough to literally take candy from a child. But he never even noticed.
When the hard work was done, we drove to the edge for our picnic.
Kyle is standing on the edge of the place he loves so much. He could literally take one step forward and fall about a gajillion feet. If you ever come visit us from the north, you will come in on that tiny gray line going right through Kyle’s middle we call the highway. Church rock is towards the bottom right (I still like to call it the Fat Lady, a name I learned from my friend Trevor Hatch from Aztec, NM). Anyway, John Mayer just filmed his latest music video at Church rock.
Pretty sure I ate most of what I packed for our picnic.
We swung Casen in the blanket like my parents used to do when I was little as we cleaned up for picnics. I think he enjoyed it just like I remember enjoying it.
We gathered lots more pinenuts and relaxed and talked about how happy we are as a family as well as some of our future plans and goals we’d like to get accomplished by the end of the year.
Everything about it was glorious. It was a much needed confirmation that every little thing is good in our little family.
It was definitely one of THOSE days, thankfully!
8 comments:
Love those days! We've had a few ourselves recently. :)
Thoroughly enjoyed this post. You guys are so awesome. Sometimes I wish I were awesome like you. :)
I think blogs should have a "like" button. What a great day!
the fat lady....ahh the memories. :)
When I first met Heber, I drove with his family up to Utah and they called it the "snowman". I thought that was pretty funny. especially coming from a girl who grew up with *fart* instead of *toot or fluff*. They must have thought I was such a crude girl. :)
I'm glad you shared 'One of those days' with us.
I have to say those tongues are quite long on Reggie and whats his face!!!( sorry I couldn't remember his name!)
I have to say those tongues are quite long on Reggie and whats his face!!!( sorry I couldn't remember his name!)
Post a Comment