Tuesday, May 21, 2013

The day I became a Rancher’s Wife

It’s been a long time coming, and one of the biggest reasons we moved down here. It’s something Kyle has always dreamed of and I have too, I’ll admit. The family land arrangements were made. Aspen posts were cut and repair on the corral and fence ensued. A couple weeks ago we went to the cattle auction in Cortez, CO. We were looking for steers of 500+ lbs and some mom and calf pairs. My old FFA livestock judging skills came back to me as I analyzed and critiqued every animal that came into the ring. I told Kyle I wanted them when a sleek and healthy black angus mom and heifer calf came out. He made that sly wave of the hand that tells the auctioneer that you place a bid, and after going back and forth with another rancher, we won the bid and became the owners of that handsome pair.

And that’s the day I became a rancher’s wife.

Casen tagged along at that 3 hour auction. He was content to sit and watch all the animals and listen to the auctioneer. It was cool to see how much he enjoyed it! He especially was intrigued by the 2 bummer lambs and a litter of pups some Navajos had brought to sell.

We brought the pair home and took them to the fairgrounds to use the squeeze shoot to brand, tag and vaccinate them. The exact moment I pulled out the camera to shoot the branding I had two vials of vaccine and needles shoved into my hands. So no photos of my favorite cows of our small herd.

It’s now one of Casen’s favorite evening activities, to go to the farm and “check on the cows.”

IMG_5541IMG_5542

He peers into what Kyle calls Casen’s summer swimming pool.

IMG_5544

The view of town and the Blue Mountain is incredible from out on the farm. I really want to build a home out here someday.

IMG_5546

IMG_5547

IMG_5550

A couple more trips to the auction and our small herd became complete. We picked up 4 more red angus mama cow/calf pairs and 5 black angus heifers (that we averaged 87 cents a pound on!). We’ll fatten the heifers up to fill us and our families freezers in the fall.

IMG_5551

This was just after Casen learned the valuable lesson of why-we-don’t-yell/shout-to-the-cows. Casen’s loud voice and unexpected movements spooked one mama cow (who we’d left in the corral to give her calf a chance to pair back up with her after branding, tagging and vaccinations) to the point of busting through the corral breaking some posts to smithereens. Almost simultaneously Kyle and I cursed under our breath. We had the talk of how to act around livestock and Casen gets it now.

IMG_5552

X Bar is the name of our brand. When Kyle asked our branding inspector if he could have that brand he laughed at Kyle and doubted that it’d be available. Well, after all these years of Grandpa Redd and Uncle Buddy using it for Redd Livestock, it indeed was available and Kyle couldn’t have been more excited! It’s a family brand that carries a legacy and now it’s going to live on.

X Bar, left shoulder. 

IMG_5554

Let the ranching begin!

4 comments:

Natalie Nicole said...

Super like! We finally got our own brand this spring too- I should do a post about it sometime... Good luck!

Clint said...

Wahoo!!! This is GREAT!! I can't wait to see the cows, and show the kiddos. I'm so excited for you guys. Casen is so stinkin' adorable. Loves.

Roxy said...

I haven't been on any blogs for a long time. it was fun seeing all these pics. I loved seeing the pics of my girls at aunt anna's! you could definitely do four :) also, reading about the brand made me tear up. so awesome to see grandpa's legacy living on!

Hadley Family said...

Oh Ann I am so excited for you. What a great dream to have come true.