So i haven't started work yet, everyone else is gone to work and school, and i do have errands to run, but the places i need to go don't open till 1:30. hmmm... so instead of twiddling my thumbs or studying (like i really should be doing), or going on a 4-wheeler ride by myself and risking the chance of getting stuck or lost in this forgein land down here, i decided to post some interesting things about monticello and what i've learned since i've been here:
~ the city of monticello covers 2.5 miles
~ population is about 2000
~ the first 'mini' temple was built here and it's right next door to where we go to church
~ there are LOTS of navajo indians here - i have actually been in a building, looked around and realized that in the room of about 25 people, kyle and i were the only white people around!
~ there are polygamists down here, too
~ the Redd family to monticello is like the Cox or Olsen families in Manti. Kyle's mom is a Redd, and so is everyone else!
~ Bruce R. McConkie grew up here - the R initial stands for Redd
~ have you ever heard that story about Bruce R. McConkie being drug as a young boy by his horse? Well, that happened in the lot just across the street from where we live at Kyle's parents.
~ Gas is $3.89 here. OUch!!!
~ I think that Kyle planted every single wheat and alfalfa field around here. we went shooting last night, and every field that we passed Kyle commented on how nice it looked and what a good job he'd done last fall planting!
~ we woke up to about an inch of snow yesterday morning! it was fun driving around town and seeing lots of little snowmen in people's yards
~ contrary to what people think, monticello doesn't get hot in the summer like southern utah. i've been told that it rarely gets about 85 degrees

~ Blue mountain is the mountain just to the west of the town. it is famous for the 'horse' that the trees make the shape of. see if you can find it in the picture - it's right in the middle, and it has a big blaze down the front of the nose. it's really small in this picture. sorry, it's the best one i could find.
~ This is such a great little town and i'm so blessed to have the chance to spend some time here!
11 comments:
The Navajo Indian part made me laugh. :)
Yes, we are the minority in these here parts.
When we first moved here, Russell would point to everyone who had a tattoo or smoked....he finally gave up when just about EVERYONE we saw had one of those.
Trevor made me laugh when he came down to visit last month....he said, "Welcome back to the land of naked ladies on the back of your truck". "As soon as I crossed the border from UT to CO, just about every truck had a naked lady decal on the back...they only multiply as you enter NM."
Trevor makes me laugh with his profound observations. :)
But with it all, we still love it here! And I'm sure you will just fall in love with this area too!From what it sounds like,
I think the bug has already bit you...
No! Gosh darn - I stared at the 'horse' and never could see it. I'll try again after I've rested a bit! I'm so excited you and Kyle are so happy. Keep posting!
Hey Anna, I'm glad you are enjoying Monticello. It really is a beautiful place tucked away in the mountains. To let people view my profile I just need their email address to send them an invite. Your a sweety and we will see you hopefully at Track. Love ya!
You crack me up. I love reading your blog. Keep it up!
Sounds fun. That horse thing is cool. I'm surprised it only get up to 85 degrees! sounds like you're having fun! love ya
Anna,
We'll have to come visit. I've never been to Monticello. Sounds wonderful. Maybe Justin would like teaching out there. The summer temps would be be tempting for him! When do you start at the hospital?
Auntie Anna
Hey Anna, thanks for leaving me a comment on one of my posts a while back. I think you are the first person outside of my family to do so. And Chuck's...they are shoes. You know, Converse. Made by Chuck Taylor. No we didn't wear urine bags to prom. That would be gross. Anyway, thanks for your congratulations on Annapolis, I really appreciate it. Good luck at nursing school!
so excited for you guys, Anna. I love how you face all new adventures with optimism and excitement. Best of luck on all that you do. We'll have to come visit you this summer.
Look what happens when you surf through other peoples blogs, you find your own family. :) Congrats on your nursing career and good luck in Monticello. It will be fun to keep up on you and Kyle and your new life together.
This was so interesting to read! Monticello is an interesting place isn't it! I love the temple there!
Hey Kyle, actually hey Anna even though we've never met, I know blogs are totally a wife thing. I was blog surfing today cause I was bored I used to be Kyle's friend before we all got married and moved so I just wanted to say hey! Monticello is fabulous isn't it?
Post a Comment