Part 2 of our missionary weekend was wonderful and tearful. Elder Neil did a great job on Sunday, and we somehow found enough food to feed all 90+ people that came to support him!
Sunday evening, he was set apart. The next day we went to the new Oquirrh Mountain temple open house as a family. What a gorgeous temple! A big party was held Monday night at Grandma K's home. Lots came to wish Neil farewell.
Then we went to the airport Tuesday morning. It was a heartwrenching experience. We said final farewells and gave hugs all around to last 2 years. There were about 6 other families doing the same. When Elder Neil walked through security with no hassle, he turned around, looked right at us, raised both arms in the air triumphantly, and grinned so big, as if to say, "Hoorah for Israel!" For us first-time-sending-a-missionary-out-ers, it was a bittersweet parting. We love Neil and know that he is going to do amazing things as a missionary for the people in Brazil.
Now here is a family that is pretty incredible. Wednesday morning we took Elder Kelvin to the MTC. This is the Curtis' 5th missionary to send out!
This was a very different goodbye because of the new MTC rules of kickin' 'em to the curb. It was not that brutal - but almost. This guy was ready to go, though. Hugs and advice was exchanged in the parking lot, and then all too quickly he was off. No singing Called to Serve, no misionary video, no prolonged goodbyes. It was probably better that way, so I've been told - I wouldn't know - I'd never had the MTC experience before.
By the time the missionary gets on his way, the rest of us are feeling pretty empty. At least that was the case when Kelvin left, or when we left him, I guess. So to try to fill that void, we went to 5 Guys to fill our tummies. It was funny how the emptiness of a missionary sent on his way was not filled by double decker burgers and hand cut fries, but maybe we'll keep trying.
We all may be fat by the time these 2 boys come home!
Elder Olsen - Porto Allegre North Mission
Hoorah for Israel!

11 comments:
I can't think too much about my boys going off on their missions. I know it's not for several years yet, but I started getting misty-eyed while working on the yard the other day just thinking about it! Sigh. I guess I'm going to get my first dose of this when my parents go on their mission in August.
Though the good-bye is hard, having a missionary out from the family is such a cool experience! You'll love it! AND your hair is so cute! Did you get it cut?
Elder Olsen is going to be a great missionary!
You look so much like your mommma in that top picture!
Oh wow, what a weekend. I didn't know your brother in law was going to Nat's exact mission though! When does he get out here? I'm proud of Neil, he'll be a great missionary and cute hair cut!
WE LOVE YOU KELVIN!!! I love the pictures wish we could have been there. your hair is super cute. love ya tons.
I got teary eyed reading the post, it's so hard to say good bye, but at the same time it's the best good bye ever. He will do so great as a missionary, we are proud of him.
I've never been to the MTC to send missionaries off...but I can imagine how wonderful yet sad it is! Good luck to them! Sounds like they're ready to go and will do an awesome job!
I remember crying a few hours after we sent my brother off. We didn't cry at all during the video and such, because we were whispering jokes to each other the whole time (it's our way of distraction so we don't have to see each other cry.)
So, they aren't doing video anymore huh? That's strange to me! but oh well!
Yes, Hooray for Israel. I was entranced reading your post. What a special moment when your brother turned back and rose his arms. I would have started bawling, (you know the kind where your face looks so bad and stupid that you have to cover it so NOONE, not even family members can see? And Carolee, my dear friend, she looks pretty with her hair long! I can't believe the last of the Curtis boys is already on his mission! He looks all grown up. how time flies!
oops, This suppose to be exclamation marks after "Hooray for Israel!!"
Post a Comment