Sunday, June 7, 2009

To the end of the earth...

...That's where we went this weekend. And I thought Monticello was in the middle of no where! Well, ever heard of a place called Escalante?
Our good friends Luke & Kelsey invited us on a camping trip out there.
They are both going to Med school in Tennessee and are leaving next month.


We fished, enjoyed the howling coyotes singing us to sleep at night, ate great dutch oven food, saw big elk and had our camp raided by a bear. Psych! That was a joke. Just seeing if you were paying attention. But seriously, we were definitely in bear and cougar country. Kyle and Luke were prepared with their big guns. There was even a 'bear box' at our campsite. This is where you are supposed to put your food at night. The 'box' has a hidden handle that has to be opened just so. It's supposed to be too complicated for a bear to get into.

After we spent Saturday morning up the mountain we went into the desert and visited places like the Devil's Garden and Hell's Backbone. Are you getting an idea of what kind of country this place was?

Towards the end of the day we went to Calf Creek. Now this place was Bea.ti.ful! Breathtaking. A rose within the desert. Kyle was the only one that braved the frigid water.


Look at those legs! We could not keep Reggie on dry ground. He LOVES the water.




Happy Family!
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Our Family said...

oh wow that waterfall is awesome!! what a fun weekend

Elise said...

Isn't that right by coyote gulch? I think so but it is beautiful. Looks like fun!

Diana said...

I TOTALLY LOVE CALF CREEK! That is prolly my number one favorite hike. We used to go there every summer. But, last time I went, I was prego, and so I didn't venture down. :(

Camping sounds really fun right now. I need to convince my hubby that he wants to be a little daring and go do it with me. He doesn't like camping all that much.

Rebecca said...

Looks pretty and sounds fun. You are sure able to do a lot of fun things. Good for you.

Shane and Michelle said...

oh wow, Calf Creek looks stunning. Looks like a great trip! Keep having so much fun. :)