Here I sit sleepless at 2 am. Why such a crazy hour, you ask? Well, welcome to the life of a night nurse. I am in my prime time. Twelve hours from now at 2 in the afternoon I have sugar plums dancing in my head.
I was supposed to work tonight but got put on call due to low patient census at the hospital. I’m not bummed about not having to work – I never am. I wasn’t looking forward to driving in the snow anyway. But guess how sweet this is? Kyle told me that if I got called in to work (which often happens when you’re ‘on call’), he would get out of bed and personally drive me down to St. George to work. The drive in the winter is quite treacherous (I like that word, I learned it from a book I read in 6th grade. I use it whenever I can). I thought that was very brave and wonderful of him to offer. Luckily I haven’t had to take him up on that offer. The news keeps saying that driving on I-15 is strongly discouraged all the way from Santaquin to St. George. This reminds me of last winter when we had just moved down here I had to go to Provo for a week for clinical hours at the State Hospital. A massive storm hit the very day I was to leave. Kyle skipped class so that he could drive me safely to Provo. It took us 5 hours going like 35 the whole way. People were seriously spinning off the freeway right and left. I love that Kyle is worried about my safety and goes out of his way to protect me.
All our Christmas shopping is done! Thanks to Walmart being open 24 hrs, I’ve been able to make good use of being awake all night. Even most of the wrapping is finished. I am really excited about a couple of the gifts I picked up for Kyle. He has no idea about them and this is the first year I’ve been able to keep his gifts a secret. Somehow, Kyle has always succeeded in making me spill the beans and tell him what I’m giving him – the little stink. But not this year. No siree. I will not crack under the pressure.
The other day I bought a bag of these -
And I haven’t been able to leave them alone. There is every single flavor. Except ear wax. Remember that from Harry Potter? Disgusting. On the back of the bag there are different ‘recipes.’ Like pink lemonade, banana split, mocha latte and caramel popcorn. I love all the flavors. Except for the black licorice. I always throw those out. Every day I pick through my bowl of them, biting some in half to see what flavor they are, and making up my own flavor combos. Kyle’s favorite are the popcorns. They make me gag, so he gets all of those.
Oh, Martha Stewart is on TV now. It looks like she may be cooking up something tasty. Even though she was a convict, she does some ‘good things.’
Good night to all. Or good morning. You choose!

10 comments:
You write with a certain panache at 2 am. It was a great post - and I can't believe you're finished shopping AND wrapping. Where did you learn how to do that? Love ya.
I LOVE the black ones...send them to me. I hate the chocolate ones. I also love the buttered popcorn ones. Jelly Belly's are tradition for our stockings...well at least ust Heber and I's...the boys can due with the regular kind...they have no appreciation for the finer things..:)
Wow! You have very good clarity in your writing at 2 a.m. :) Usually anything I say (or write) is pretty much incoherent at that hour... Unless I have just gotten home from country dancing at 1 a.m. and am still totally awake. Anyway, the point of this comment was to tell you that I love the picture of you and Kyle in the snow! It's very cute. :)
sorry that you didnt have to work i love when i dont have to work too! and what a nice husband you have. i am glad that either of you had to drive in the snow. and glad to hear you are doing good! oh yeah and i love the new pic at the top it is super cute.
I love you.
I love that you were awake at 2 am
I love that you wrote a post at 2 am
I love that you uploaded a picture
for your post at 2 am
I love that you are a nurse...
who makes spending time at the hospital with my baby so much easier!
Happy Holidays!
i love martha stewart. how in the world is all your christmas shopping done?!? oh i'm so jealous.
It's just warming you up for motherhood, awake at wee hours of the morning, night, day...your just getting prepped is all:) At least you know how to function at those crazy hours.
You are a creative writer and I always enjoy reading your thoughts and ideas. Wow, I'm wishing I was you right now being all done Christmas shopping--I still haven't even started. You'd think I'd get started already but just set up and decorated our tree for FHE and are in the process of decorating our home w/bunch of cheap items we got from DR Horton for a killer deal. Oh it is so much fun! Love those black jelly beans so feel free to send them my way! :)
hey anna, I sure miss you, and your cheerfulness. I'm glad that you're so happy. Merry Christmas!!! Will you tell michelley Hi for me if you see her? Hugs and hugs for you! Miss ya!
you're already on the list, OF COURSE! :)
Post a Comment