Main Entry: 1crutch
Pronunciation: \ˈkrəch\
1 a : a support typically fitting under the armpit for use by the disabled in walking
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary
Have you ever had to use crutches? For me it has been a love/hate relationship. I can’t stand ‘em, yet can’t function without ‘em.
When you have crutches, it ties up your hands so you can’t really accomplish tasks as simple as moving your cereal bowl from the counter to the table. When you have crutches, you bear all your weight on your hands on the handle grips. When I have crutches i get big man-calluses on my palms from the 40+ lbs I’ve accumulated so far during this pregnancy.
But that is all in the past now. Just a memory. Dr N., the bone man, told me that it is ok to ditch the dreaded crutches!
Oh happy day! Now I just hobble along in the big black boot. It’s been an adjustment putting weight on my ankle, but I can tell that things are improving.
It sure does make for that almost-8-months-along waddle awkward, though. However, it does not turn as many heads as walking in crutches has.
I will hopefully hear no more – or at least a lot less – of the many comments from passer byers. In the theatre last week I heard “Wow. That lady went from bad to worse.” Or how about this classic from one of my residents at work, “Well honey, don’t you just look like a walking circus?”
Nope, I don’t think I’ll miss the crutches.
Happy day!
6 comments:
Wow. Do people just not realize how their voices carry? I have to admit I giggled a bit, but really! Glad you're one step (ha ha ha) closer to total recovery. Can't wait to see you at the reunion or sooner. It's just gonna get better from here.
those comments were mean, but kinda funny too :) glad you're back on your feet kind of!
I'm so glad your healing! I still feel bad it ever happened at all! At least I'm sure you've been a very cute pregnant girl on crutches and now on to bigger and better things!
Dang I'm sad the circus left...no for reals I'm glad those blasted things are gone, it's hard enough having them not prego much less prego.
Oh, gosh - thanks for making me laugh out loud. 'Bad to worse' and 'circus'! I'm still laughing. Can't wait to bring your circus here.
I think that a walking circus would be so fun! at least to watch :) yeah for getting back on your feet and off of your hands!
Post a Comment