Monday, December 5, 2011

A dog named Dewey

 

A couple weeks ago it was a little crazy around here – ok, it’s still crazy busy, but this week that I’m talking about was nutso. A week of teething molars, preparing for Thanksgiving, doing the Heimlich on Casen twice and going into survival mode while Kyle was gone for several days put us all in a precarious position – I felt like I was about to lose my head.

Kyle finally came home and low and behold, out of the back of his Charger leapt a DOG! A DOG! And he was big – I mean at least 20lbs heavier than our already large chocolate lab. And he was excited. And he answers to the name of Dewey.

IMG_3494

Dewey is a Red Labrador. Oh you haven’t heard of that breed? Well they’re kinda new, especially to the western US. They’re pretty popular in the Midwest right now. Kyle and I heard about Red Labs a few years ago and did a lot of research on them and decided that one day we’d have one of our own. They are so beautiful! Not Dewey though, of course. He’s beautifully masculine.

The opportunity came through Kyle’s Sergeant up in Wasatch who was looking for a new home for Dewey. We quickly volunteered to take him when we heard. After a couple months of thinking it over, Serg let Kyle bring him home as ours. So don’t go thinking Kyle just up and surprised me with a new dog – we had discussed it like happy healthy married people discuss those kinds of things.

Dewey is several years older than Reggie, but his inner pup comes out when they play. He is an amazing bird dog we’ve been told!

IMG_3496

We went to cut a load of firewood just after Dewey came to us and the boys ran and romped around as they pleased. Dewey is an old dog. He hobbled around like a sore stiff man for a couple days after.

IMG_3504

He greeted Reggie in true doggie style for quite some time when he first came. I will never understand this about dogs…

IMG_3557

So the other night Kyle’s reading Casen a book about animals. He points to a lion and says, “Look Case, it’s Dewey!” He’s spot on. Just like a lion our Dewey dog is!

IMG_3558 

We are learning just how true the saying “you can’t teach an old dog new tricks” is. But somehow this affectionate red lion dog has wriggled his way into our family and our hearts. Wow, that is cheesy.

No, but seriously.

1 comment:

Diana said...

I will never understand why dogs do that either.