Tuesday, April 9, 2013

A long letter that starts: Dear Casen

Today I gave you two M&Ms leftover from the fun Easter egg hunt Aunt Kristen put together this weekend just for you. I took two for myself. You had one left when you asked if you could have one of mine. I told you I’d share one because I loved you. You took it and immediately offered your last M&M to me. You said you wanted to share with me because you loved me. This is one example of how receptive you seem to be to things dad and I tell you.

You love lettuce and sometimes don’t chew it up well enough before you swallow and end up gagging and choking. We’re constantly reminding you to “Chew it up.” We remind you to be nice and don’t push before we’re about to get together with cousins. Whenever we mention cousins Wes or Tenlee, you always chime in “We don’t push.” “Gotta be nice.”

IMG_5296

You have a great imagination. With my collapsible mesh laundry basket, I’ve seen you play with it as a car, chainsaw and horse. The other day you were making car sounds and gestures standing at a chair. I asked if you were driving a truck. You replied, “Bus driver. Move on back!” You’re really into the Wheels on the Bus right now.

IMG_5287

Dad and I both recognize you’ve got a gift for memorizing things. You recite songs and poems well and you’re not too bad at carrying a tune! The primary singing time director visited the other day and told me you are the only one in nursery that knows the words to the songs. We’ve decided we’re going to take advantage of your knack for memorizing and work on scriptures and other things that’d be beneficial to commit to memory, like the Articles of Faith, which is what we’re  working on now. 

Anything outdoors is right up your ally. Since the weather is getting nice, you are outside right after breakfast and we see you only when you come in for meals. You’re playing in the dirt a lot more this spring. Dad asked you one day what you were doing in the dirt. You told him you were “planting food!” You’ve loved loading, unloading and spreading “Nuares” (manure) in the garden with dad. You love the little Toyota truck and jump at the chance to work in it with dad.

A couple weeks ago dad took you to find your first shed antler. I think you were pretty pleased with yourself. When we were pruning the fruit trees last week, you started piling up the branches and telling us about all the elk antlers you were gathering.

Grandma Curtis gave you a tractor book a few months ago and you ADORE it. You can identify a tractor, combine, implement, smokestack and loader. Kind of big words for such a young guy!

Not a day goes by that we don’t have to deal with at least one major tantrum. You are pretty fantastic at throwing those! We don’t feel like time-out is as effective as it used to be with you. We’re having a hard time figuring out discipline tactics.

Although you have a great vocab, you don’t seem to respond to instructions well. When asked to please bring mom a diaper, you wander all around the room as if you’re looking for it. No matter how many hints we try to give you (“it’s by the dresser, under the chair, behind the door,” ect), you just don’t seem to get it. Whether you think you’re being funny or facetious, or really just don’t comprehend, it’s sure frustrating for us!

You don’t take a nap anymore. I’m really sad about that.

One more thing that’s really awesome about you is your eating habits. You eat your fruits and veggies like a champ and you love your meat. While I’m stuffing my face with cookies, you’re begging for me to peel you an orange or cut you an apple. You will do almost anything for a cucumber, strawberry or milk. Where did you come from?!

IMG_5314

We sure love being your parents, Casen! You keep us on our toes, make us laugh out loud and say the silliest things every single day. You are a great big brother for Auri. Thanks for being you, son!

Love, Mom

IMG_5305

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a touching letter! He is so blessed to have you as his mom!

Natalie Nicole said...

What a fun glimpse at where casen is at these days!

Curtis Crew said...

Love that kiddo! He is such a great example to his cousins. Very sweet. We're lucky to enjoy little pieces of him:) Love you Casen.

Rebecca said...

a keepsake. I feel like now I know a Casen a little bit too. I'm glad you are writing down those sweet daily moments.

kent and alyssa said...

To be honest I didn't even read it. I couldn't. Must be my crazy hormones! Love his idea, maybe ill try to read it tomorrow. Haha!

Bluebird & Company said...

such a cutie! I love that he loves veggies and fruit. My boys are the same. I'm all over in the kitchen eating cake and they're all over in the fridge digging for carrots and tomatoes. ;) haha
Casen is a true boy. outdoors, tractors, the whole bit. :) I can't wait to finally meet him someday. :)